- GE Energy announces the sale of its one millionth I-210 solid state residential electricity meter.
- The Bayard Group buys Hunt Technologies and the Enermet Group OY, Finland, making it the largest metering group in the world.
- The IEEE begins work on five standards to create a multi-source, plug-and-play communications
environment for electricity, water and gas meters.
- Landis+Gyr US ships its 1 millionth FOCUS® meter.
- Elster Electricity receives accreditation as an authorised service provider from Measurement
- Californian utility San Diego Gas & Electric plans to install smart meters for all its 1.3 electricity
customers by 2010.
- Echelon’s NES system is chosen by Swedish utility Vattenfall and Dutch utility NUON.