- MTE Meter Test Equipment and EMH Energie Messtechnik acquire meter test companies HEG Hamburger Elektronik Gesellschaft Ltd. and EDI Electronic Engineering Ltd.
- Actaris acquires the former business interests of Schlumberger RMS, except for electricity and water
meters in North America.
- Viterra becomes a full service metering company, operating in 27 countries.
- Energy metering system supplier Enermet Group and Nokia sign a co-operation agreement to develop a wireless communication system that reads energy metering data remotely over GSM networks and the Internet.
- Bluetooth™ - a universal radio interface that allows electronic devices to communicate wirelessly via
short-range ad-hoc radio connections – emerges as a viable technology for the utility industry.
- Itron Inc. ships the 20 millionth ERT meter module.