The 73S8023C is a single smart card interface IC, compliant to the electrical requirements of ISO-7816-3 and EMV 4.0 (EMV2000) electrical specifications. It can be used in conjunction with any micro-controller that can support the smart card protocol layer.
The 73S8023C interfaces with the host through a dedicated digital control bus, compatible with the industry-standard devices TDA8004 and TDA8002.
Interface signals coming from the host are internally latched, and latches are controlled by a Chip-Select host input. This allows the host to control multiple Teridian 73S8023C devices through the same control bus.
The smart card clock source can be supplied by the system, or be generated by a built-in oscillator (an external crystal is required). A clock output is available to other 73S8023C ICs when implementing multiple card architectures.
- Card Interface
- Complies with ISO-7816-3 and EMV 4.0
- Provides at least 100mA to the card
- DC-DC Converter provides 3V/5V to the card from an external power supply input
- ISO-7816-3 Activation / Deactivation sequencer
- Emergency card deactivation upon hardware fault:
- Card removal
- Voltage supervision faults: Detection of voltage drops on VCC(card) and VPC power supply
- Adjustable power supply (VDD) fault detection (2 resistors needed)
- Card over-current (true current detection)
- Die over-heating fault
- 2 card detection inputs, 1 for each possible user polarity
- Auxiliary I/O lines, for C4 / C8 contact signals
- System Controller Interface
- 4 Digital inputs control the card activation / deactivation, card reset, card voltage and power down mode
- 1 Strobe digital input is a secondary, synchronous card clock input
- 3 Digital inputs control the card clock (division rate and clock selection)
- 1 Chip Select digital input allows the host to drive several 73S8023C in parallel (controls internal latches)
- 1 Digital output (Interrupt output to the host for fault detection), allows the system controller to monitor the card presence
- Power Supply
- 2.7V to 5.5V
- 6KV ESD Protection on the card interface
- Package: 32QFN