Houston, TX, U.S.A. --- (METERING.COM) --- October 8, 2012 - The latest 32-bit C2000™ Concerto™ microcontrollers for smart grid and other applications that require power conversion, remote data sharing, diagnostics, monitoring and control from a single device, have been announced by Texas Instruments.
The new Concerto F28M36x microcontrollers integrate real time, precise control provided by its C28x digital signal processor and advanced connectivity enabled through its ARM® Cortex™-M3 core, plus on-chip peripherals.
The dual-core microcontrollers are supported by C2000’s controlSUITE™ software which includes an intuitive software ecosystem, application libraries, demos and examples, as well as TI’s Eclipse-based Code Composer Studio™ integrated development environment (IDE) v5.
TI-RTOS™, a new, deterministic, scalable real time operating system, is fully integrated with the Code Composer Studio IDE and available at no cost and royalty free. It provides low overhead communication mechanisms between the ARM Cortex-M3 and C28x cores, enabling developers to get started right out of the box and easily exchange command-and-control data buffers. These newest Concerto microcontrollers are code compatible across the entire C2000 microcontroller platform for scalability and code reuse in energy efficient applications.
Features and benefits of Concerto F28M36x microcontroller systems include:
- Real time control subsystem with TI's C28x 150 MHz digital signal processor with floating point and the Viterbi Complex Math Unit
- Smaller package size and more connectivity than previous Concerto microcontrollers – 289-pin (ball), 16x16 mm nFBGA package with .8 mm ball pitch to allow more input/output (I/O) connectivity
- Control peripherals for control and power conversion in energy efficient applications
- Robust host communication subsystem based on 125 MHz Cortex-M3 and connectivity peripherals such as Ethernet, USB on-the-go, dual CAN and multiple serial communication ports, enabling functions such as data sharing, diagnostics and monitoring
- High performance pulse width modulation (PWM) peripherals increase the control resolution in switching power supplies and motor control systems
- Memory includes up to 1.5 MB of flash and 232 KB RAM for storage.
The new Concerto F28M36x Experimenter Kit includes a Concerto F28M36x controlCARD and docking station. The modular controlCARD is hardware compatible with TI’s C2000 application specific kits and software to further support development. Free, on-demand Concerto training enables developers to begin further exploring optimized architecture, tailored features and easy-to-use software infrastructure of the devices.