Koblenz, Germany --- (METERING.COM) --- June 7, 2013
German energy grid operator Alliander AG, subsidiary of Dutch grid operator Alliander NV, has acquired Görlitz’s BSI (German Federal Office for Information Security) protection profile vouchers for this year's metering rollout.
Though the regulatory framework conditions are expected to remain unclear until 2016, the company has taken the step towards smart metering, with the declared goal to provide detailed information on customers' electricity consumption to help save energy.
But the grid operator also intends to use the various functions of the devices to operate the grid more efficiently. Considering planning security, the company opted for the BSI protection profile voucher, assuring investments in future-proof meter technology. This prevents stranded investments, allows active control of the individual rollout, and permits the value adds of smart metering.
The five component solution enables the electronic remotely readable electricity meters of today to be extended by the BSI protection profile gateway using a preconfigured interface. In addition, it grants the upgrade to a metering system pursuant to section 21 of the EnWG (German Energy Industry Act) to a defined price at a later time. The individual components are:
- Open Smart Grid Protocol (OSGP) compatible system from Echelon comprised of electric meters with PLC communication technology to transmit the meter values, data concentrators and NES software
- BSI protection profile voucher from Görlitz AG, which guarantees the customer the rights to a BSI protection profile gateway at a price defined today
- IDSpecto AMM gateway and software from Görlitz, with which the Echelon head-end system connects
- BSI protection profile gateway from Görlitz as soon as the technology is available – this gateway can be linked to the Echelon meter via a preconfigured interface
- System update from Echelon to upgrade its NES software, with which the requirements of the protection profile are implemented.
The voucher from Görlitz is aimed to assure users that their investment in metering infrastructure will still be guaranteed, even after integrating BSI protection profiles. The offer will be extended to include the GPRS/UMTS and EDL21 meter technology in the course of the year.